I bet this is one of the most popular Spirograph designs. It’s in the instruction book that comes with the new Spirograph Deluxe Design Set as well as the old one.
UPDATE Sept. 2014: I’ve made a video about drawing this design. See below.
Make it in whatever colors you want! Here I’ve used black for the first, middle and last pattern which makes it look like ribbon candy. You also get a nice 5-pointed star outlined in black in the middle, which stands out against the red weave.
You can use these 5-pointed stars to make decorations for Christmas or the Fourth of July. Cut them out, paste them on cardboard, make them into magic wands for the kids.
- Stick ring 150/105 to your paper using the Spiro-Putty (or pins, if you’re using an old set and haven’t tried Poster Putty yet).
- Using Wheel #63, line up Hole 1, the hole closest to the teeth, to one of the lines on the ring. Draw the design with your first color (I used black).
- Line up Hole 3 with the same line on the ring as you used for Hole 1. Use your second color (I used red) to draw the design. Repeat with Holes 5 and 7, being careful to line up the hole with the same mark on the ring. There is a line going from each hole to the edge of the wheel. Be sure to match that line with the line on the ring.
- Go back to your first color for Hole 9.
- Draw Holes 11, 13 and 15 with the second color, always lining the hole up with the same line on the ring.
- Finish by drawing Hole 17 with your first color.